Saturday, March 17, 2007

reason number 347 I'm a total nerd

the other day, I sent an email to james howard kunstler asking him to judge Curbed LA's ugliest building in LA contest and possibly contribute some eyesores to LA. while his schedule doesn't really allow him to judge the contest (although he might contribute some eyesores of his own), he sent me a really lovely email, that was quite complimentary about curbed. so I will treasure that email forever and ever.

after spending last weekend contemplating the state of contemporary suburbia in orange county, this weekend is shaping up to be slightly more urbane. olga and I attended the genart party last night. we also went to the fall party several months ago in santa monica. while I love last night's warehouse space in hollywood (it feels very brooklyn), its a tough space for a fashion show, since it lacks a runway. so rather than have a runway show, they set up individual tableaux for each designer. the problem with that is a) I'm too short to see anything and b) clothes at rest = kind of boring. clothes in motion = far more dynamic.

today I have my docenting duties at the schindler house - which I nearly forgot about it until last night. which meant I had to cancel yoga and brunch plans. The sacrifices we make for the architects we love. oh well. speaking of schindler, he got some major press this week and both the nytimes and the new yorker. the articles weren't about him per se but he got some major new york press coverage, nonetheless.

tonight there are plans afoot to make it to some of the chinatown gallery openings, but I suspect we'll never make it in time, since john and jack have arranged a dinner for 20 of their closest friends at a thai restaurant. fingers crossed, it won't be a 3 hour dinner.

4 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm watching "The End of Suburbia" right now. On a saturday night. Who's the nerd now?

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, that's exactly the sort of set up they went with in New York this past season as well. I wasn't really a fan, either -- hard to see the clothes, and I miss the glamour of modeling stomping past me. Genart ALWAYS serves food though, in my experience -- did you at least get snacks?

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger marissa said...

THERE WERE SNACKS?! No, we saw no snacks. just the open bar with some pretty weak drinks.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's total BS, then -- in NYC, they had huge baskets of macaroons and like three open bars.

It was, however, about 11 below zero, so maybe they thought we needed higher blood sugar to keep us alive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home