Wednesday, January 17, 2007

follow the LEEDer




this is shaping up to be an architecture-filled week. I finally joined the LA conservancy - something I've meant to do for, oh, I don't know - maybe two years. I joined because I decided a good gift for john's birthday would be a walking tour in downtown LA, followed by lunch. we did the art deco tour, which was wonderful. john and I go on so many modern architecture tours, celebrating the simplicity of design (which sometimes crosses over to a slavish devotion to austerity), it was refreshing to tour these over-the-top buildings designed with excess in mind. my only regret - we never made it to the eastern columbia building - I suspect because john kept holding the tour up taking pictures. above, find my crappy ones. they almost pass for buildings in new york, no? until you take a look at that sky - that could only be LA in january.

last night josh and I attended the reception at livinghomes to celebrate their LEED platinum certification. I think josh is going to be posting on the party later on curbed, but let me sum up: kelly kapowski was there and looking very well preserved since her saved by the bell/90210 days - but what she was going at a party for sustainable design is anyone's guess. I mean, where is ed begley jr when you need him?

I have a new crush on eric garcetti, who is one of the most amazing public speakers I've ever witnessed. smart, articulate and passionate. and huge fan of curbed - apparently we're on his RSS feed. any politician who has an RSS feed, who even knows what one is, has my vote. and he agreed to go to dinner with josh and me sometime. most of the attendees got a hearty handshake from eric, we got a high five. seriously. a high five. at the age of 33, I wasn't quite sure how to react to the high five. we also spotted ray kappe, who has apparently no memory of being interviewed by me for curbed, and his wife shelly - who was completely endearing and does remember ray's interview. the speeches were interminable, the house is beautiful (steve glenn gave josh and me a tour about a month ago), and all the leftover food was turned into compost.

tonight, going to a walk-through for the new W development going up in hollywood. something tells me they're going to be lacking a composting machine.

1 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who *doesn't* have a crush on Eric Garcetti? Can you take a blog reader with you on your dinner with him? Pretty please? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home