Monday, August 21, 2006

slouching towards broadway

as joan didion's great 'the year of magical thinking' is adapted as a monologue for broadway, the guardian takes the opportunity to interview didion and take stock of her body of work. I'm admittedly one of the "new, younger readers she has attracted" with the book, but this article makes me want to head over to book soup to pick up a few others, particularly the essay collections like 'the white album'. but can ruminations on 60's california culture ever compare to the heartbreaking precision she uses in magical thinking to capture her overwhelming grief? when I was reading magical thinking while in new york in dec, so many people struck up conversation with me when they saw what I was reading - her grief seemed to fit right in with the zeitgeist. I'm afraid I will inevitably be disappointed. its a good thing I have a massive pile of sept magazines to get through before I can get back to reading actual books.

2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slouching Toward Bethleham is great. It's VERY LA -- not in the palm tress/silcone boobs sense, but in the Santa Ana winds/a celebration of freeways sort of way. You would, I suspect, enjoy it very much.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger marissa said...

ok, I'm sold. picked up a copy yesterday but I have such a backlog of sept magazines/3 or 4 books on the roster it may be xmas by the time I get to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home