Friday, September 16, 2005

I'm not going to sleep tonight

I try to avoid writing about the personal on this blog but this week my interest in real estate intersected with my need for a new apartment. I've probably seen upwards of 20 apartments in the past week - mostly in hollywood and los feliz. I've seen big complexes, small garden complexes, terrible 80s complexes and one brick place from the 20s that should have crumbled in an earthquake long ago. searching for an apartment is perhaps one of the most disheartening, frustrating, overwhelming tasks I've faced in a while.

I was hoping for a large, bright space with hardwood floors that also had off-street parking. I quickly starting ticking off the things I could live without: hardwood floors, parking, large space. until tonight. I finally saw the most amazing apartment in my price range that has all of the above and then some. the new yorker in me kicked in - told the manager I wanted it before the other girl who was seeing it uttered those words (she repeated them 1 second after I did). I ran home, filled out the application, printed out bank statements, copied a recent credit report - I'm nothing if not thorough - and went back an hour later to return my application, hopefully beating the wanna-be actress/temp to the punch. so now I wait. the application goes in first thing tomorrow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd still be close enough to runyon canyon for yoga every day and walking distance to the sunset 5.

I know LA isn't like NY when it comes to apartments - they don't check 10 years worth of IRS returns, require a co-signer even if you make six figures, or reject you because they don't like the cut of your jib. whatever that means. but I'm still nervous. matteo says homes are like men - you know when it feels right. I'm much better at picking the apartments.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apartment hunting can be a hassle many times as I used resources on the web to help me locate the perfect apartment. I wish you the best of luck in finding a great apartment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home