Thursday, December 01, 2005

combating food fatigue

I've been in LA 2 1/2 years now and it would be crazy to think I've been to even a fraction of the restaurants in this town. but it seems like its the usual suspects over and over again and I'm starting to get a little bored. so this week has been a concerted effort in trying new places.

sat night (ok, technically sun morning) involved my first trip to BCD tofu house for lip searing soon tofu. despite the host's reluctance to seat us, claiming the kitchen was closed, as we pointed to the 24 hour sign and the other tables currently being served, we finally overcame our debilitating whiteness and convinced him to seat us as well. I think I may have found the perfect after-drinking antidote. last night involved a trip to the valley for fondue, chronicled by Jess. and tonight John and I have agreed to try a new place. inspired by a recent latimes article, and our love for all things japanese cuisine-related, we're venturing into either little tokyo for izakaya snacks at haru ulala, or to south la brea for 70s japanese movie posters and yakitori at sake house mori. and if work doesn't get in the way, a possible artisanal bread tasting - yes, you read that right - at breadbar with Jess this weekend.

so I think my meal malaise might be temporarily appeased.

5 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Blogger Zach Behrens said...

Hands down, that is the best dessert fondue ever. They do have a set menu, but if you call ahead and ask if it is okay to stop in just for dessert (if it is a slow night), they will let you. Cheers to that!

Thanks for the Tofu House tip, I've been trying to hunt down all the Valley Veggie restaurants...

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger marissa said...

keith - yes, that sounds familiar. you have a good memory, since I dont think I had business cards back then.

jess - loved haru ulala - as long as you order from the specials menu. the one dish we got from the regular menu - tofu in "delicate" broth - was cloyingly sweet and spongy. not good. also, the lighting is too bright for my taste, but overall I really liked it.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dai-Chan "Japanese Soul Food", same strip mall as Nozawa, two doors to the left. Poky Bowl.

Thank me later

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger marissa said...

my friend rudy swears by that place also. I was considering going today but the overwhelming urge for soba soup overtook me, and I still have a mental block about going into the valley even tho I'm only 10 min away from studio city, so it was back to mishima for the second time this week. fighting a cold and only steaming hot soup will do.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Zach Behrens said...

If you make it back to Studio City, I've been on a mission collecting all the good veggie places to eat and need more places to find. If I"m missing any, let me know. Although, next up will be Best of Asian - The Ventura Corridor.

My list so far can be found at:

http://shermanoaks.blogspot.com/2005/11/more-unique-green-restaurants.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home