Thursday, September 22, 2005

going low brow

so looking back on my last two posts, I sound like some art snob who spends all her time reading the new york review of books and gallery-hopping, and would never stoop so low to enjoy a non-ironic pabst and the latest issue of US weekly. not true. I know I've written before of my love for weekly tabloids and laguna beach, but now I feel compelled to admit that I have a real problem. I'm a TVaholic. I'm not as bad as a few friends - I assiduously avoid all reality TV (laguna and my super sweet 16 excepted) but I've probably given more attention to the new TV season than it deserves. here's my very quick rundown, all made possible by tivo. sweet, sweet tivo:

new shows
reunion - sorta sucks
my name is earl - doesn't suck but how far can you go with jokes about being white trash. oh, wait - married with children ran for a decade? I stand corrected.
kitchen confidential: I want to like it. I really do. loved the book. I almost like the show.
prison break: the guy's hot. that's enough for me.

returning shows
arrested development: still love you. you was robbed at the emmys.
nip/tuck: yup, still love you too.
the office (american): I thought I could never love you since I loved the british one so much. I was wrong. you are getting better and better. c'mere baby and warm up your side of the bed. the american version is starting to make house party look like house party 2 - know what I mean?
lost: waiting for me on tivo.
the oc: oh how I miss the days of marissa's hackneyed lesbianism and seth's comic book obsession - and I didn't think that was possible. season 3 sucks so far.
iron chef america: watching bobby flay lose are the episodes worth watching. I love watching him go down.

high hopes
veronica mars: she filled the gaping hole in pretty, perky blondes who kick ass left by buffy. season 1 was so great - I have high hopes for season 2, but I'm afraid no arc will match the pathos of season 1 - it had it all - best friend's murder, drug-fueled rape, possible incest, missing mother. what can possibly top that?
24: you pulled me back last season, keifer, with that smooth, gravelly baritone - you can do it again.

so that's it. I dont watch desperate housewives or amazing race. yeah, yeah. they're great -I've heard. but what I've seen is totally overrated. they're not taking up my precious tivo space. I'd like to see everybody hates chris but its on opposite the oc. I haven't yet given up on my favorite half-jewish family. yet.

I wish I had a new lost or veronica mars this season. doesn't look like its going to happen.

update: saw lost. wtf? its great but I dont want to wait a week to find out what happened to the raft. I waited all summer, motherfuckers. give me my sawyer and my jin and my michael now.

one more update: ok, so the OC wasn't that bad tonight, at least something happened. and next week looks good - marissa's new school looks like it might be rougher than OZ. maybe she'll fashion herself a shiv from a spork in the school cafeteria. or become someone's bitch. oh wait, that was season 2.

and special movie review: saw flightplan yesterday. that movie is so preposterous it makes red eye look like a documentary. jodie, what are you thinking?

5 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are ill. Can I help you fill out a library card form?

Hehehehehehehe

- El Rudaydong

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger marissa said...

believe it or not, I have a library card in LA. they have free movies there! hehhehehe.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Nanette said...

Marissa, you and I are a lot a like in our TV taste, especially about Prison Break. That guy is hot (and he's British!), even if the writing is poor.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

Oh my god, the guy on Prison Break is BRITISH? That just made him a little bit hotter.

Marissa, have we not had the Laguna Beach chat? I may not really be of use to you, since I actually love those kids, but... I did cast the damn thing.

I'm with you on a lot of shows (but, yeah, the Amazing Race IS good... and so is America's Next Top Model, though they're the only two I watch). So far, I'm most interested in Kitchen Confidential and Rome. And the OC is now officially dead to me, because I decided I just don't care anymore.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger marissa said...

according to IMDB, he was born in britian, raised in brooklyn, educated at princeton. and if you remember him from the human stain he was well cast as anthony hopkins younger self "passing" as a white man. more imdb:
Is of African-American, Jamaican, English, German, French, Dutch, Syrian and Lebanese descents.

what do you get when you mix them all together? H-O-T-T.

morgan - jess told me you cast laguna. I seriously love kristen and want to slap the silly out of jessica. and both of the alex's. do you read TVgasm? they recently compared casey to terry schiavo. horrible but you have to admit there's a strong resemblance there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home