Thursday, December 21, 2006

back in ny

my first day in new york was spent with my father, who's recovery from his surgery has been nothing less than remarkable. he's still not 100% but I can't believe how far he's come since I was here last month.

heading towards manhattan soon to meet some friends for lunch - for my beloved xiao long bao - soup dumplings. my friends understand me so well. the "clean" flavors at din tai fung in arcadia just don't do it for me - I like my broth heavy and flavorful. its been months since I've had one of those little dumplings - my excitement is maybe a little out of proportion to my lunch plans.

the rest of the week will again revolve mostly around food. eileen and I were going to try una pizza napoletana, until we realized its not open for lunch. a fellow diner at mozza in LA recommended we try it, so it will have to wait for another day. christmas is of course all about movies and chinese food. and while I would love to experience l'atelier de Joel Robuchon, I'm afraid my most likely hotel dining experience this week will likely be at burger joint (which isn't necessarily a bad thing - how did I live 4 blocks from here for 7 years and just discover it now?)

the rest of the week - family, friends and museums. my sister and I now have a tradition of spending an afternoon at the cooper hewitt - which is currently exhibiting its design triennial. and I feel compelled to go to MOMA because they have a koolhaas exhibit, and he was the subject of my thesis. plus there are picasso exhibits everywhere in ny this season, but I think I want to visit the whitney's because they also have a kiki smith exhibit and one on bauhaus. so many museums, so little time.

off to slurp soup dumplings for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home