Monday, July 17, 2006

almost over my sarah vowell obsession

or at least, I'm taking a break from it. finished the partly cloudy patriot this weekend, and I was right, I didn't love it the way I loved assassination vacation. assassination vacation just felt more coherent to me (which is perhaps unfair since partly cloudy is a collection of essays, after all). but I laughed. and overall, she's a pretty persuasive essayist. she's correct - Gore could have learned a lot from Buffy the Vampire Slayer about embracing his inner nerd.

anyway, onto The Plot Against America, right after I finish reading the august issue of Lucky, which for some reason is taking me an embarassingly long time to finish. (anything more than a day is embarassing).

and sitting on my bedside desk is a book John loaned me (although I don't recall ever asking to borrow it but he INSISTS I will love it): American Theocracy. and while I'm sure it will make me a much better person to understand how deeply ingrained religion is into our current political and cultural climate, its still about 100 degrees in my apartment and I'm afraid it will just annoy me. its big and heavy and hardcover and just thinking about it makes my jaw clench. maybe I'll save it for cooler weather, esp since it looks like I may spend 2 or 3 weeks in ny in the fall. of course, its size makes it an unlikely travel companion. (flashback: the 3 months it took me to read The Corrections because I couldn't carry it on the subway). anyone know if there is a cliff notes version?

1 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet heart, darling, light of my life: I never asked to read "Sore Winners," but I am, and -- alas -- I'm enjoying it. Pick up "Theocracy" with the same spirit, that you may bloody well like it. Meanwhile, as I mentioned more than once, if you read it, start from the middle, unless a breakdown of the U.S. along religious lines since the confederacy interests you so much you just can't resist. The second half of the book is a page turner, one that confirmed what I'd been reading elsewhere.

Thisis an anonymous post, but fukety fuck. You konw who I am.

Jh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home