Saturday, February 04, 2006

jetlagged...


I just wrote a long post about london and my motherfucking browser crashed. and I'm jetlagged and delirious and have no patience to try to remember and re-write what I wrote.

perhaps later I'll feel up to it but for now let me just say london is arguably the greatest city in the world. I loved it when I lived there (albeit it took a few months before I was truly, madly, deeply in love with the city) and I love it now.

I wont go into most of what I did or ate or drank (although I will say london is a great eating city. no, seriously, stop laughing. if you still think it sucks you haven't been there in the past decade. its really great and not just the indian food). I will mention I gorged on the museums while I was there, like a dying man gasping for air (yes, I know LA has world-class museums but you can't tell me it can possibly compare). in just a few days time, I managed to fit in a trip to the design museum, the sir john soane museum, the national gallery, the hayward gallery for a dan flavin retrospective, and 2 visits to the tate modern to take in rachel whiteread's turbine hall commission and the new half-finished layout (which I'll try to write a post on later). unfortunately, my trip to the fashion and textile museum was (almost) for nothing since it was closed when I went.

but all was not lost - and I'm bringing it home now - (since I have to, in some way, relate this to architecture and not a low-rent fodors) just across the way from the fashion museum lies a small storefront that is the UK headquarters of united nude, a shoe company founded by Rem D. Koolhaas, the less famous architect and nephew of that other koolhaas and an english cobbler. (and I highly recommend clicking on that link for one of the most hysterically pretentious websites ever to invoke architecture and shoes). so how could I possibly resist? especially when half the shoes were on sale for a ridiculously low price (even with the 2:1 GBP to dollar ratio) and the pair I bought was inspired by the barcelona chair. my only regret? not buying more than one pair.

1 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger marissa said...

the guy told me they sell them in the states but I haven't seen them much - I think I may have seen them in ny in a few stores. but I'm sure you can find them online from a US retailer. I was boring and just bought the black ones. haven't actually seen how they do in real life yet. will let you know if I break my ankle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home