Tuesday, April 05, 2005

burbank's boom

The latimes covers the real estate boom in burbank, changing the character of a neighborhood they refer to as a "mayberry-like town." I'm just a little bit too young to remember burbank as the butt of johnny carson jokes, and since I've only lived here for a year and a half, I can't share in the latimes' pastoralist nostalgia for a town undergoing rapid development. what seems odd to me, as an outsider, is that it took this long for burbank to undergo these changes, given its proximity to the studios and sitting right between the valley and the city. the few times I've been to burbank (mostly for ikea pilgrimages) it struck me as a slightly less odious version of surburbia, with a mix of chain and independent restaurants and shops, its own lake and some stunning views from the hillsides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home