Friday, April 01, 2005

'los angeles plays itself'

I'm putting this film on my list of documentaries I need to watch. for some reason, its playing in seattle right now, but not in LA.

one of my favorite observations in the reviews:

And [the director] entertainingly points out a consistent theme: architecturally dramatic homes used as domiciles for villains — or, as he puts it, the "trophy house as modern equivalent of black hat or mustache."

I love the fact that architecturally striking homes are always owned by the villains - perhaps this is an artifact of some tom wolfesian knee-jerk reaction to modern architecture - often seen as dispassionate or cold or even slightly ridiculous. are there any recent films where the hero gets to live in modern architectural splendor?



and on a completely unrelated note (except that I almost always have the food network on when I work from home) - I am totally looking forward to this weekend's Iron Chef America - women warriors. tivo is already set.

2 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

Los Angeles Plays Itself had a screening in LA last year. I think it was only night...

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Hilary said...

um, make that one night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home