Monday, March 28, 2005

the nytimes can't go one sunday without writing about LA

LA seems to occupy a fairly large space in the mind of the sunday styles editor(s). this week they cover Dan Tana's, a restaurant the newspaper lauds as a little bit of the outer boroughs here in the LA. I've never been but I have a hard time imagining that any place that cameron diaz and brad grey frequent will remind me of my beloved Queens.

and the newspaper also covers the all-female valet service, Valet of the Dolls. the owner, seemingly without a shred of irony, explains its appeal:

"Ninety-nine percent of it is aesthetic, liking to look at pretty things," she explained. "Pretty cars, pretty women."

comments like that are what drives my love/hate relationship with this city. if only there was a hint of irony in it, it would make it all better. irony makes everything more tolerable.

2 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any place with a $40 steak is not going to remind you of Queens... but Dan Tana's does have a cramped, old-world feel. and all the waiters are Croatians or Italians with some miles on them, and they seem to all be part of a team-- very different from the LA usual of actors, etc.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

Ugh, Dan Tana's.

I've been there twice. The first time was years ago and the food and service were great. And we sat next to Justine Bateman.

Then, my family went for my 30th birthday last year. Sucked. We were rushed, the food was just eh, and the service wasn't nearly as good.

Sooooo not worth the money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home