Tuesday, March 14, 2006

angelino heights

I sorta kinda remembered someone once telling me about a small enclave of victorian-era homes nestled on a hill in echo park. so yesterday rachel and I decided to seek them out. if I had unlimited financial resources, these may not be my first choice for my dream home (I don't think I could live with lace curtains in every window every day of my life) but its hard not to find these homes charming. sure, there may be "needless clutter" and complexity, but its hard not to love the wraparound porches, the round towers, the ornamental spindles and brackets and weathervanes and horse posts. and of course, the complicated assymmetry of these rambling homes. carroll ave provides the highest concentration of these homes in LA, with a houses in various states of renovation, restoration and decline. here, a couple of pix:

pink house
green house 2
street
circle house
horse post


3 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger Team said...

Hey! That's my neighborhood--i live one street to the north of Carroll. Sorry to know that you were in the 'hood and I missed you.
You don't have to have $1 million (though it helps) to live in Angelino Heights, I rent and so do many others.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Team said...

sincerely,
Adrienne

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger marissa said...

hey adrienne - sorry I missed you too. I saw there were quite a few places for rent in the neighborhood, but its $1 million victorian or bust for me. hehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home