Wednesday, October 12, 2005

all whiteread, all the time


to follow up on monday's link to the guardian's article on rachel whiteread's mysterious project for the tate modern, all has been revealed. today's guardian discusses the installation - an enormous sculpture of white boxes - some placed irregularly, some as architectural structures. the guardian almost covers all the bases in terms of what whiteread might be referencing - a recent trip to the melting arctic icecaps, a "ghostly warehouse,"a miniature cityscape, piles of sugar lumps. what's interesting about the review is that rachel whiteread's work, regardless of scale or material, is almost always refered to as 'domestic' (and that's not necessarily an insult), and about memory and space. its whiteread's largest piece thus far, and yet it seems inescapable that she's always conceived as an artist referencing the "domestic" - it seems to be a particularly bizarre adjective for this piece. clearly, it seems her previous body of work is coloring the reviewer's perception of "embankment." for more on her career, the guardian ran a profile last week. one of these days I'll get back to talking about LA.

3 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It reminds me of LegoLand

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Team said...

Hooray, you're back!
I'm going to London on business on the 24th. Now I'll have to check out the installation on your say so. I'll send ya pictures if I'm allowed to photograph the installation. I'm always so shocked at how mellow European museum guards about that in comparison to the US.

-Adrienne

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger marissa said...

adrienne - I'm jealous. my sister lives there and I haven't been in a year. wow, that sounds awful. I haven't seen my sister in a year. yikes.

anyway, please do take some photos if you can. I'd really like to go too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home